Sunday 25 October 2009

From Boom to Bust and I Ain't Talking Economics


It all started on a Tuesday. Geography, period 2. Clare was off, she looked lonely. No wonder, I wouldn’t have spoken to those behind me if I was her. So over I sauntered, took a wee seat and off we went. At that point we didn’t realise what it would turn into... I occasionally wonder how things would be different if we didn’t meet that day.
At this point I suppose I should introduce the star of the show/blog. I can hear you saying, “What on earth are you talking about Calum?!”
She goes by many names; Boom Boom Shake the Room (this is a reference to her vivacity rather than a weight reference), Boom, Brucie, Ratcher, Ratch and on Sundays, or when parents are doing the salutations, she is simply Rachel.
Some of you may have gathered that this entry isn’t the same as the others to date; there isn’t a whiff of politics of current affairs. The reasoning behind this is simple coercion on her part.
Now fortunately for all you I shan’t start describing all of the good times we have had, all the topics discussed or even the quotes we have made. If I did you would be numb-arsed by the time you got to the end of it, so I shall give the background details.
Ratch, my (clean) name of choice for those of you who don’t know, came to us from the land of Gourock in 2004. I have to shorten this a lot because I don’t have time by the way. Since then she has graced many of us with her banter, her beauty and her bitchiness, although graced maybe not being the preeminent word for the latter of this list.
“Why the title then?” some may ask, I see the Boom, but where is the bust. This is simple, we’re going different ways, the same way all of us are. Much like the recession of late the question is when will the recovery begin how will it affect us? My question is similar, where do we all go from here, will the life and friendships we knew from our pre-uni days carry on along a similar route or will we all go down our own paths from now on?
Regardless of this, we will always have times like the fiery man on the bus and withered arms in English revision school, lest we forget Chinese names and “You’ve Got Mail”. Variety is the spice of life after all...

1 comment:

  1. I know you were coerced into this, but you do manage to get across a rather valid point - one of which many people will have been thinking about recently.
    It would be great to think that we could all just be friends forever, however as we all know we do not live in a fantasy land. People grow up, move away and change. Unfortunately, this means some people get left behind.
    There does, however, come a day when you get over this and move forward in life - meeting new people, travelling to new places and making new friends. Sometimes the past does have ways of revisiting us though. I see you bring good old memories into it, and for me those are the most important things. As long as there are memories, your friends are still there. It's better to have had something and to have had it taken away, than to have never had it at all.

    ReplyDelete